Pages

Veg & Feta Tart

/ Monday, August 6, 2012 /


VEG & FETA TART


- - - - - - - - - - - -

I've never really been a big meat eater. In fact, when I met my husband, I was a vegetarian. If it wasn't for his mouthwatering bbq chicken, I probably would have never given it up. I really don't like to put a label on my eating habits, because in all actuality, I just listen to my body. What my body wants is what I give it. Be it eggplant, dark leafy greens, apricots, or salmon! But, I am an herbivore at heart. ANYWAYS.. moving along! Considering I haven't been eating much meat, I have been challenging myself to come up with recipes that are full of all the nutrients I need and that make me want to cry when I take a bite because they are just so life-changingly delicious! So, yesterday's lunch lead me to this! A flaky thin pie crust, filled with sauteed zucchini, leeks, mushrooms, and potatoes. Tossed in a magical heaping of feta cheese and with a happy sprinkle of dill! The combination is truly divine! It is the perfect meal for a brunch with friends or a crisp fall afternoon. After taking this out of the oven and having a couple slices, before I knew it I was at the local wine cottage buying a bottle of Chardonnay and off to my neighbors to share the rest with them! Yes. It is that delicious! So as usual, make this for someone you love, be it yourself or the sweet cashier at the grocery store. There is no better way to show someone you care about them than cooking for them!

XO, 
-L 

- - - - - - - - - - - - 


- SERVES 4 | HANDS ON TIME- 20 MIN | COOK TIME- 1 HR -


Cast of Characters


{1 TBSP} Olive Oil
{1 TBSP} Butter
{2} Leeks (white and light green parts- cut into half-moons)
{2} Sm. Zucchini's (cut into half-moons)
{4-5} Regular Mushrooms (sliced, not chopped)
{To taste} Kosher Salt & Ground Black Pepper
{1 TSP} Garlic Salt
{1/2 Cup} Feta Cheese (crumbled) -- about 2oz.
{2 TBSP} Chopped Fresh Dill (Or 1 TBSP Dry Dill) 
{2} Sm. Red Potatoes (halved and thinly sliced)
{1} Pie Crust (homemade or store bought)



Making The Magic

1.  Preheat oven to 375ยบ F. Heat the oil & butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks, mushrooms, zucchini, 1/2 TSP salt, 1/4 TSP pepper, and 1 TSP Garlic Salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn heat off and stir in the Feta and dill. Finally add the potatoes and toss to combine. Feel free to steal a zucchini or two and give yourself a slap on the butt because it taste so good! Put to side. 

2. On a piece of parchment paper, roll the piecrust to a 12 inch diameter and slide the paper onto a baking sheet (so yes, you leave the parchment paper as it cooks!) Spoon the potato mixture onto the piecrust, leaving about a 2 inch border. But don't be like me and do this over the burner you just used, or the pie crust will quickly melt and you will feel like a moron. Fold the edge of the piecrust over the edge of the potato mixture. Don't worry about it being perfect, because quite personally I like the rustic look of imperfection! Bake until the pie crust is golden brown and the potatoes are tender. This can take anywhere between 45 to 60 minutes. If you check on the tart and you see the edges are getting too brown too quickly, just throw on a rim of foil and that should do the job! When the crust is golden and the veggies have started to caramelized (or not if you're not into that sort of thing) take the tart out of the oven and set aside to cool! 

3. Pop open a bottle of your favorite white wine (or white grape juice if you don't drink da booze). Tuck your napkin in your shirt. Say the blessing. And BON APPETIT MES AMOURS! :-) 



0 comments:

Post a Comment